Smallest house, Oudegracht, Utrecht

This tiny canal house is the smallest house on the Oudegracht. It stands between Bakkerstraat and Hamsteeg at number 133 and probably dates from the 14th century. At that time, many Utrecht buildings were made of wood. Over the centuries, the city turned to stone because of the fire hazard. This house was also originally made of wood. The timber frame is still visible in the side wall. The facade was turned to stone in the 17th century and replaced in the 18th century by the current bell gable. Above both the ground floor and the first floor are composite beams with corbels (consoles) resting on wall studs. The small house was originally larger, but was split in two in 1581. The building also has several cellars. The historic merchant's house has now been used as a retail space for years. The storefront dates from the thorough restoration in 1976. Since 2006 you will find jewelry store Pracht here. The property has the status of a national monument.

Dit piepkleine grachtenpandje is het kleinste huisje aan de Oudegracht. Het staat tussen de Bakkerstraat en de Hamsteeg op nummer 133 en dateert waarschijnlijk uit de 14e eeuw. In die tijd waren veel Utrechtse panden van hout. Vanwege brandgevaar versteende de stad in de loop van de eeuwen. Ook dit huis was van oorsprong van hout. In de zijgevel is nog steeds het houtskelet zichtbaar. De voorgevel is in de 17e eeuw wel versteend en in de 18e eeuw vervangen door de huidige klokgevel. Boven zowel begane grond als verdieping liggen samengestelde balklagen met korbelen (consoles) rustend op muurstijlen. Het kleine huisje was oorspronkelijk groter, maar werd in 1581 in twee├źn gedeeld. Het pand heeft dan ook meerdere kelders. Inmiddels is de historische koopmanswoning alweer jaren in gebruik als winkelruimte. De winkelpui dateert van de grondige restauratie uit 1976. Sinds 2006 vind je hier sieradenwinkel Pracht. Het pand(je) heeft de status rijksmonument.

2022-11-03

home