Politiebureau Wittevrouwen, Utrecht, Netherlands

This former police station is located on the corner of Wittevrouwenstraat and Wittevrouwenkade on the city outer canal. It was in 1858 after a design in neoclassical style by the city architect C.A. Boll van Buuren built as a commuter house. The Odulfus clock was placed in the belfry. It previously hung in the Salvatorkerk and the Wittevrouwenpoort. The building served as a guardhouse and office for urban taxes, but lost its function as early as 1865. The police joined in in 1860 and it continued to use it until 1980. The Utrecht coat of arms can be seen in the top fa├žade. The building is a national monument.

Op de hoek van de Wittevrouwenstraat en de Wittevrouwenkade, aan de stadsbuitengracht, staat dit voormalige politiebureau. Het werd in 1858 naar een ontwerp in neoclassicistische stijl van de stadsarchitect C.A. Boll van Buuren als commiezenhuis gebouwd. In het klokhuis werd de Odulfusklok geplaatst, die eerder in de Salvatorkerk en de Wittevrouwenpoort hing. Het pand diende als wachthuis en kantoor der stedelijke belastingen maar verloor die functie reeds in 1865. In 1860 kwam de politie er bij in en die bleef het gebruiken tot 1980. In de topgevel is het wapen van Utrecht te zien. Het pand is een rijksmonument.

2019-03-22

 
home