Stadhuis Utrecht, Netherlands

The old town hall of Utrecht was built between 1826 and 1830 to a design by city architect Johannes van Embden. The neoclassical fa├žade in Bentheim sandstone sets the tone. Since then, many renovations and extensions (including the buildings on the left) have taken place. The most striking is that from 2000 when architect Enric Miralles has changed a lot in the appearance of the back side of) the building (see photo 2). The last renovation was recently completed. The building is used for meetings of the City Council and the College of Mayor & Aldermen. Marriages also take place here. The town hall is open to everyone for visiting exhibitions there and / or using a drink. The municipal apparatus is housed in the new city office at Central Station (see the posts of August 13 and 19, 2018). The building opposite the town hall (right on the picture) accommodates the central city library and one of the largest book stores in the Netherlands. It dates from 1850 when it was built to a design by the architect C. Kramm in a neoclassical style. The bridge in the foreground, the Stadhuisbrug (Town Hall Bridge), was created in 1547 by the connection of two older bridges. All the objects described are listed as national monuments.

Het oude stadhuis van Utrecht is gebouwd tussen 1826 en 1830 naar een ontwerp van stadsarchitect Johannes van Embden. De neoclassicistische gevel in Bentheimer zandsteen is beeldbepalend. Sindsdien hebben vele verbouwingen en uitbreidingen (onder andere de panden links) plaats gevonden. De meest opvallende is die uit 2000 toen architect Enric Miralles veel veranderd heeft aan het uiterlijk van (de achterkant van) het pand (zie foto 2). De laatste renovatie is recent afgerond. Het gebouw wordt gebruikt voor vergaderingen van de Gemeenteraad en het College van Burgemeester & Wethouders. Ook vinden er huwelijken plaats. Het stadshuis is voor iedereen toegankelijk voor het bezoeken van tentoonstellingen aldaar en/of het gebruiken van een consumptie. Het gemeentelijk apparaat is gehuisvest in het nieuwe stadskantoor bij het Centraal Station (zie de posts van 13 en 19 augustus 2018). Het pand tegenover het stadhuis (rechts op de foto) biedt plaats aan ondermeer de centrale stadsbibliotheek en een van de grootste boekwinkels in Nederland. Het dateert van 1850 toen het werd gebouwd naar ontwerp van de architect C. Kramm in een neoclassicistische stijl. De brug op de voorgrond, de Stadhuisbrug, is in 1547 ontstaan door de verbinding van twee oudere bruggen. Alle beschreven objecten zijn rijksmonument.

2019-07-11

 
home