Janskerkhof, Utrecht, Netherlands

At the Janskerkhof in Utrecht you can find the Law College behind this natural stone gate from 1643. In 1247 a Minrebroer monastery was built on this spot. In 1581, after the Reformation, the chapel was demolished and the refectory was used as the Parliament Chamber of Utrecht. The provincial coat of arms can be seen above this entrance. In 1816 the building was made available to Utrecht University. During a renovation in 2013-2015, medieval painted tombs were found, which have been made visible with glass walls. The building has the status of a national monument. The image on the left in photo 2 is a monument to the ophthalmologist Franciscus Cornelis Donders made by Toon Dupuis.

Aan het Janskerkhof te Utrecht is achter deze natuurstenen poort uit 1643 het Law College te vinden. In 1247 werd op deze plek een Minrebroederklooster gebouwd. In 1581, na de reformatie, werd de kapel afgebroken en de refter in gebruik genomen als Statenkamer van Utrecht. Boven de ingang is het provinciewapen te zien. In 1816 werd het gebouw ter beschikking gesteld van de Universiteit Utrecht. Tijdens een renovatie in 2013-2015 werden middeleeuwse beschilderde grafkelders aangetroffen, die met glazen wanden zichtbaar zijn gemaakt. Het gebouw heeft de status van rijksmonument. Het beeld links op foto 2 is een monument voor de oogheelkundige Franciscus Cornelis Donders gemaakt door Toon Dupuis.

utrecht, janskerkhof, netherlands, monument, rijksmonument, nationalmonument, architectuur, architecture, historicalheritage

2020-04-03

1 2
home