Sint Catharijen Gasthuis, Utrecht

The Sint Catharijnegasthuis. This first guest house in Utrecht was founded in the 12th or 13th century by Johannites next to their monastery on Vredenburg, which was then called Catharijneveld. Around 1529 it moved to the Carmelite convent on the Nieuwegracht. Until 1580 the hospital had 24 beds, after that 50. After the foundation of the Utrecht University in 1636, the Catharijnegasthuis became an academic hospital. The building is now part of Museum Catharijneconvent. The building is a national monument.

Het Sint Catharijnegasthuis. Dit eerste gasthuis in Utrecht werd in de 12e of 13e eeuw gesticht door Johannieters naast hun klooster op het Vredenburg dat destijds Catharijneveld heette. Omstreeks 1529 verhuisde het naar het Karmelietenklooster aan de Nieuwegracht. Tot aan 1580 telde het gasthuis 24 bedden, daarna 50. Na de oprichting van de Utrechtse Universiteit in 1636 werd het Catharijnegasthuis een academisch ziekenhuis. Nu is het gebouw onderdeel van Museum Catharijneconvent. Het pand is een rijksmonument.